Who We Are
Greater Victoria Housing Society is a registered charity and non-profit organization dedicated to providing affordable rental housing for low to moderate income households. Known for excleenent service, we contribute to healthy, thriving and livable communities.
GVHS is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other basis protected by law.
What We Offer
GVHS offers a comprehensive benefits package including 3 week’s vacation to start, generous sick and family responsibility leave, employer matched RRSP, extended health and dental insurance and an Employee Assistance Program.
What You Will Do
Reporting directly to the Manager of Daily Operations, the Building Caretaker creates a well-kept and safe residential environment by cleaning and maintaining in good working order the physical assets of each building managed by the Society.
What You Bring
- The ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with maintenance staff, office staff, contractors and tenants.
- The ability to respond to issues with diplomacy and tact while communicating in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to de-escalate situations to communicate respectfully and problem-solve with tenants
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act and privacy and protection legislation.
- The ability to set priorities and handle a number of different issues at one time while maintaining safety and efficiency.
- The ability to keep accurate records and complete standardized forms in writing and on a computer.
- Knowledge of electrical, elevator, boiler, fire panel, mechanical systems, emergency back-up generator, irrigation sprinkler and timer systems.
- Physical ability to independently lift up to fifty (50) pounds required.
Your Working Conditions
- Work is carried out in all buildings owned by Greater Victoria Housing Society.
- Physically demanding work environment; 80% physical work, 20% administrative work.
- Frequent lifting and moving of equipment, furniture, and appliances.
- Exposure to needle and drug paraphernalia, natural death of residents and potential health hazards (personal protective equipment available).
- Interact with tenants demanding resolution to maintenance problems or problems with other tenants.
- Union membership: CUPE Local 1978.
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Check.
- Proof of full vaccination against Covid-19.
- Provision of own vehicle required.
- Hours of Work as provided in the Collective Agreement.
- Field Dress Code.
Compensation: $23.92/hr (35 hour work week)
This is a union position with CUPE1978: https://cupe1978.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Collective_Agreement_CUPE_Local_1978_GVHS_2019_2023_2019_07_12.pdf
For a complete job description please visit https://greatervichousing.org/about/careers/